14/10/2013

Portfolios for Developers

Recently I've been listening to more podcasts about freelancing, including the Freelancers Show and Unfinished Business. A new one that I've found is called the Freelancers Web which is a great podcast, it has great interviews, insights to going freelance and working as a freelance designer. It's also not to long so ideal for car journey's or lunch breaks.

When listening to their first episode (I'm in the process of catching up on their past episodes) the two presenters (Sean Johnson and Liz Elcoate) were both talking about how they got started, how they 'took the plunge' and just went for it. In their discussions they were talking about their portfolio's and website and how they really didn't have one to start with as they were working full time and didn't have work that wasn't their previous employers. So they designed everything they could, including their CV, their business cards, painted water colours of Run DMC and Public Enemy (which sound awesome I must try to find them). This made me think about how would a web developer, not a designer, create a portfolio of work?

I'm a developer of over 12 years, and I've created a lot of sites for various clients, all working for an employer at the time, and I've always had to work from a design created by a graphic designer, which is fine. So I don't have design skills, never really needed them. Now that I'm trying to build up a freelance business I've been thinking about how I can attract clients through the work I do. I want to aim to attract clients who want web applications developed, as that is my main area of interest. Now I could make example apps, but without that 'design' element to them, will they be appealing to perspective clients.

I've spoke to agencies before, who have asked for my 'portfolio', but as a developer I don't have a portfolio. I suppose there is Github where you can put up example code or use these UI frameworks like Twitter Bootstrap or Foundation to give your example apps that polished, designed feel.

I don't think it is easier for designers to attract clients, but it must be easier for them to create a appealing portfolio.

I've posted a question on Twitter to see if anyone has any ideas...

No comments: